What is Bagasse?
Bagasse is fibre by-product of sugar cane which is left after the juice has been extracted from the sugar cane.
Bagasse plates and bowls are manufactured using heat & pressure based moulding process. Since sugarcane fibre is a residual component of an existing process, this makes it sustainable and manageable. That way no extra land is required to cultivate sugarcane. We are just using a by-product of an existing process and sustainably creating a product out of waste.
What are the benefits and unique features of bagasse products?
Bagasse products are commercially compostable. In small quantities, these can also be composed in your garden/back yard compost bin.
There is no other material added to sugarcane fibre nor there is any plastic coating. Bagasse products are perfect alternatives to petroleum-based Styrofoam and plastic products.
- Can be used for both hot and cold foods
- Makes your parties and celebrations “Plastic Free”
- The extra price you pay (over plastic plates) will not cost the earth
- These natural products match / exceed the strength and durability of a like for like plastic
- Microwave and Freezer friendly
- Can also hold hot & liquid foods for a limited amount of time.
Are sugarcane (bagasse) products oven safe?
Bagasse products can tolerate heat up to 200 F. So, they are oven safe ONLY up to 200 F. We do not recommend that Bagasse/sugarcane products are to be used in ovens with extremely hot temperature or where a direct flame is involved.